Eastman Trombone Online Workshop
This workshop is now closed; we are no longer accepting registrations.
Eastman Trombone Online Workshop
August 2-7, 2020 / Monday–Friday, times TBA
This year, we celebrate the 15th installment of the Eastman Summer Trombone Institute online! Our online workshop is an intensive, informative and supportive environment for trombonists who wish to challenge themselves while growing their musical skills and becoming familiar with the many facets or performing and teaching. This workshop is designed for high school, college, and graduate level players and is offered for performing participants and auditors.
After a Sunday evening welcome session, each day will include 3-4 hours of interactive instruction, including:
- Faculty-led warm-up classes
- Masterclasses (performer participants only)
- Two 45-minute lessons with faculty during the week (performer participants only)
- Special topics discussions ranging from:
- Recital/audition preparation
- Jazz improvisation
- Orchestral playing and doubling
How to apply:
A short video audition is required for performer admission. The recording should contain approximately five minutes of music encompassing two contrasting works. These works can be movements (or excerpts of movements) from solo pieces, etudes or orchestral excerpts. Please include something lyrical and something a bit more technical. Recordings are due June 1st, 2020.
No audition is required to attend as an auditor. Auditors will have access to all public sessions but will not receive private lessons or perform in masterclasses.
Performers: $350 / noncredit CRN 36979
Auditors: $100 / noncredit CRN 36982
“The program itself was absolutely incredible. The range of different activities, all having one main point, was very good and interesting. The faculty and staff were all very kind, supportive, and helpful.”
– 2019 participant
- A current copy of your music résumé
- Short Biography
- One or two paragraphs about your solo and ensemble experience, awards, honors, etc.
- Audition Recording
- Approximately five minutes of music encompassing two contrasting works. These works can be movements (or excerpts of movements) from solo pieces, etudes, or orchestral excerpts.
- Please include something lyrical and something a bit more technical.
Click on the link at the bottom of this page to use our online Audition Form.
Audition Video Instructions:
All applicants must submit separate video links for each piece on the audition list.
All videos must conform to the following format:
- Camera facing directly at the applicant (no side-facing videos)
- Camera 5-15 feet from student, clearly showing you and your instrument
- Uploaded to YouTube for ease of transmitting (unlisted link suggested; public links okay; private links don’t work)
Please send video links together in one Word document as shown in the example template below (do not forward individual videos to the Summer@Eastman office). Links should be “active” so that videos can be viewed directly from your document; you may wish to test this before submitting your audition.
Application Material Templates:
You may use existing résumés or biographies if you have them; these templates are provided in case you need help putting information together.
Please follow this format (or very similar) for your application materials. This will help us get to know you as thoroughly as possible through your application!
There is no fee to audition for this institute. Auditions will be reviewed on a rolling basis as they are received.
Audition deadline: Please send your résumé, short biography, and recordings by June 1st, 2020.