General Directions to the Eastman School of Music
The Eastman School of Music has its own compact campus located in the East End of downtown Rochester, about three miles from the University of Rochester’s main campus (River Campus). Eastman School of Music is about a 20-minute drive from the New York State Thruway (Interstate 90) and about 15 minutes from Frederick Douglass Greater Rochester International Airport (ROC). Geographically, Rochester is 350 miles from New York City, 75 miles from Niagara Falls, and just a few miles from the beautiful Finger Lakes area of upstate New York; the city of Toronto, Canada is a three-hour drive away.
Traveling by car from the west:
- Take Interstate 90 to Exit 47, then Interstate 490 East to Rochester.
- As you approach downtown, follow the Inner Loop ramp to the left.
- Exit at Scio Street and turn right.
- Proceed to the second light and turn right on Main Street.
- The School is one block down on your left. However, cross over Main Street to park in the East End Garage, and then walk one block to Gibbs Street. The Eastman Theatre entrance is on the corner. The main entrance to the School is at 26 Gibbs Street. Sibley Music Library is on the opposite side, at 27 Gibbs Street. The Student Living Center is at 100 Gibbs Street, just across Main Street.
Traveling by car from the east:
- Take Interstate 90 to Exit 45, then Interstate 490 West into downtown Rochester.
- Exit at Clinton Avenue (Exit 16).
- At the first light, turn right onto Woodbury Boulevard.
- At the next light, turn left on Chestnut Street. Stay on Chestnut (about 200 yards) to East Avenue.
- Turn right onto East Avenue, then take the first left onto Gibbs Street.
- The School is half a block up on your right; the Sibley Music Library is on your left at 27 Gibbs Street. The Eastman Theatre (which is housed in the same building as the School) is at the corner of Main and Gibbs Streets. The Eastman Student Living Center is on the right, about 50 yards past Main Street, at 100 Gibbs Street.
Parking is available at the East End Garage on Main Street, one block to the right of the School and Theatre. For information about student parking during Summer@Eastman, visit our parking information page.
From the Airport
Frederick Douglass Greater Rochester International Airport (ROC) is located southwest of the downtown area. Incoming visitors often take a taxi to the Eastman School located at 26 Gibbs Street (anticipate a fare of approximately $35). If renting a car at the airport, take Interstate 390 North to Interstate 490 East, and follow the directions above (“Traveling by car from the west”). Rideshare services Uber and Lyft also provide airport service in Rochester.
From the Bus/Train Stations
The Rochester bus terminal (Greyhound and Trailways) and Amtrak station are both located about a mile from the Eastman campus. Cab fare is approximately $25.
All public bus lines in the Rochester area converge at the RTS Transit Center, located less than a mile (about a 10-minute walk) from the Eastman School of Music. For more information, visit the RTS website here.