Summer Organ Academy
Now also open to undergraduate collegiate organists!
Summer Organ Academy
June 28-July 2, 2020 / Sunday-Thursday, 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m., plus some evening activities and concerts
Caroline Robinson, coordinator
Margaret-Mary Owens, assistant coordinator
Locations: ESM Schmitt Organ Recital Hall, Asbury First United Methodist Church, Christ Church, Incarnate Word Lutheran Church, Memorial Art Gallery, Sacred Heart Cathedral, St. Paul’s Church, Third Presbyterian Church
Come and experience the thriving pipe organ culture at Eastman in this five-day intensive workshop for young organists. Each day will include private and group instruction from world-renowned performers and pedagogues, as well as daily access to a wide variety of instruments. Participants will have the opportunity to perform in master classes focusing on repertoire, sacred music skills, improvisation, and technique. Use this time to meet friends and colleagues that share in your passion, and see just how much there is to discover and learn within the organ community here in downtown Rochester. The program includes social activities and excursions and two culminating student performances open to the public. The course is open to both pre-college and undergraduate organists.
For more information, including a schedule and a list of instruments used for study, please visit: http://www.esm.rochester.edu/organ. Admission is by audition only.
Orientation: Sunday, June 28 at 6:00 p.m. in Schmitt Hall
Participant Concerts: Thursday, July 2 (morning and afternoon) at Third Presbyterian Church and TBA (Rochester, NY)
Housing and meals are not included in course tuition. On-campus student housing at the Eastman Student Living Center is available for an additional fee of $84/night, which includes 3 meals daily in the Dining Center. Participants staying off-campus may also purchase individual meals at the Dining Center. Information about housing and area hotels can be found here.
Planning your arrival and departure:
First scheduled activity: Orientation, Sunday, June 28 at 6:00 p.m.
Last scheduled activity: Participant Concert, Thursday, July 2, afternoon (exact time TBA)
$605 / noncredit CRN 20487
Enroll by May 15, 2020 and we’ll waive your registration fee!
$100 registration fee applies after May 15, 2020.
“This program exceeded my expectations. The faculty were some of the finest I’ve ever worked with.” – 2019 participant
- A current copy of your music résumé and repertoire list
- Short Biography
- One or two paragraphs about your solo and ensemble experience, awards, honors, etc.
- 1-2 letters of recommendation from an organ teacher and/or musical mentor(s)-–only one is required, but you may submit a second letter if you’d like. Letter(s) can be included with your audition materials or sent in any of the following ways:
- Click here to upload a recommendation letter to the secure Summer@Eastman online dropbox
- Email the letter(s) to the Summer@Eastman office at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The letter(s) may also be faxed to (585)274-1005 or mailed to:
Eastman School of Music
26 Gibbs Street, Box 36
Rochester, NY 14604-2599
Please be sure to include the student name on all sent files.
- Audition Recording
- YouTube link(s) or mp4 file(s) preferred; mp3 file(s) only accepted if video is not available
- Two contrasting pieces
- Videos can be public or unlisted
- Please compile all file links into one Word document, using this template as a guide (do not forward individual videos to the Summer@Eastman office)
- Links should be “active” so that videos can be viewed directly from your document; you may wish to test this before submitting your audition
Click the link at the bottom of this page to use our online Audition Form.
Application Material Templates:
You may use existing résumés or biographies if you have them; these templates are provided in case you need help putting information together.
Please follow this format (or very similar) for your application materials. This will help us get to know you as thoroughly as possible through your application!
There is no fee to audition for this institute. Auditions will be reviewed on a rolling basis as they are received.
Audition deadline: Please send your résumé, repertoire list, short biography, letter(s) of recommendation, and recordings by April 1, 2020.
Final deadline: Upon acceptance, full registration and payment must be received by May 15, 2020.
Visit the page from the 2018 camp to get a preview of the Summer Organ Academy experience!