2023 Summer@Eastman Housing Information and Policies
Summer@Eastman housing is located in the Student Living Center of the Eastman School of Music. Most high school participants are housed in double-occupancy rooms. Participants age 18 and over are housed in single rooms. High school participants may request to live in a double room with a preferred roommate; the Student Living Center staff will do their best to accommodate such requests but can make no guarantee. Room assignments will be provided at the time of check-in. You will receive an email with information about check-in (location & hours) once your course has been confirmed.
- The Student Living Center’s rooms are NOT air-conditioned. Students are not allowed to bring their own air conditioners due to the design of the windows and electrical outlet capacity in the rooms. Students are welcome to bring fans for room use; the Student Living Center has a limited selection of fans available for checkout.
- Several rooms include a loft bed (with ladder and guardrail) and might not be suitable for people with disabilities or with a fear of heights. If you have concerns about loft beds, please contact Residential Life at email@example.com or call (585) 274-1106.
- Rooms are cleaned after a participant’s departure; do not expect a hotel-level daily cleaning service or in-room trash removal during your stay (housekeeping staff remove trash from common-area trash cans only).
- All participants are expected to leave rooms in reasonably good condition upon departure. Room inspections by Residential Life staff will be conducted after check-out. Any additional damages found or cleaning that needs to occur will be documented and billed to the participant’s account. Common charges are as follows: additional cleaning $35.00 to $125.00; replacement of a room key $125.00; damages to furniture or property range from $50 for scratches to furniture to the cost to replace. Please contact the Office for Residential Life with billing questions. Our office is open Monday through Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm; closed weekends and holidays. We can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (585) 274-1106.
- Rooms are not practice rooms. Practicing is prohibited in all areas of the Student Living Center. The Eastman School of Music’s Annex has plenty of practice rooms for participants’ needs.
- The Eastman School of Music is not responsible for personal property. Participants should consider obtaining insurance coverage for their personal property.
Participants age 14 and older attending in-person summer programs can request housing on Summer@Eastman’s registration form. Housing will be billed separately from tuition; all charges will post to the student’s account in UR Student once charges have been assessed for Summer term. All housing requests must be for a minimum stay of one week (six nights). Housing is billed at a weekly rate only; we do not prorate for shorter stays. Requests for Student Living Center housing received after May 15, 2023 may not be granted if space is no longer available.
If you encounter problems with your application, please contact the Summer@Eastman Office at: email@example.com or call 1-844-820-3766.
Summer@Eastman housing begins Sunday, June 25, 2023, with numerous options for weekly starting times. Summer@Eastman housing ends on Saturday, August 5, 2023 at noon. See the chart below for specific information about programs’ check-in and check-out times.
Check-in at the Student Living Center is available between 12:00 p.m. (noon) and 4:00 p.m. for all participants in institutes and collegiate programs; students attending Eastman Experience: Summer Jazz Studies or Eastman Experience: Summer Classical Studies should refer to their program materials for specific arrival information.
Upon arrival on campus, all students should proceed immediately to the Student Living Center’s front desk at 100 Gibbs Street to check in and pick up housing materials (keys, access cards, etc.). Directional signage stating “Summer@Eastman Housing Check-in” will guide students to the Front Desk. Click here to download the Eastman Campus map.
Check-out for students in all programs must be completed no later than 12:00 p.m. the day after a program ends. Information about check-out procedures will be posted and distributed to Summer@Eastman participants prior to the end of summer programs. Students must return their room keys and ID cards prior to departing campus. Rooms must be left in satisfactory condition. Participants who are not able to check out of their rooms during office hours will receive instructions for express check-out, including where to leave their materials and a number to call to confirm that they have done so.
All Summer@Eastman students are expected to move out the day after the program ends, as shown in the check-out column below:
Eastman’s Student Living Center houses mostly double rooms. It also has recently-renovated floor lounges to support floor community (flat-screen TVs, microwaves, couches, and chairs). Amenities include cable TV, internet access, campus-wide WiFi, a vending area, a game room, and an enclosed outdoor courtyard.
Laundry facilities are available on the lower level. Laundry fees (washers and dryers) are included in housing costs for summer students staying in the SLC, but students must provide their own detergent or other laundry supplies. The Eastman School Bookstore has a limited selection of laundry supplies available for purchase.
Each double-occupancy room is furnished with:
(2) single beds (extra-long twin bed)
(2) two-drawer dressers
(2) wardrobe closets
(2) computer desks with chairs
(1) wireless connection
During your stay, you will be provided with two sheets, one pillowcase, two bath towels, and one washcloth. A limited number of pillows and blankets are available for checkout on a first-come, first-served basis. When you leave, you are required to bring all of your linens to the Mail Room (located on the first floor of the Student Living Center). There will be a bin for you to place your linens in before your departure.
Residential students’ daily housing rate includes three meals at the Dining Center located on the Student Living Center’s ground floor. Meal plans begin with dinner on the day of arrival and end with breakfast on the day of departure; breakfast, lunch, and dinner are included on all full days.
The Summer Dining Center hours are as follows:
Breakfast : 7-9 a.m.
Lunch: 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
Dinner: 5-7 p.m.
Upon arrival, Summer@Eastman residential students will receive a temporary University ID card that allows them access to Eastman’s Student Living Center, the Annex practice rooms, and the Sibley Music Library. Longer programs such as Eastman Experience: Summer Classical Studies and Eastman Experience: Summer Jazz Studies require a photo ID card. ID cards will be issued shortly after students’ arrival.
Student ID cards are included for visiting and current/incoming UR students. If a card is damaged, it will be replaced at no charge. There is a $25.00 charge for lost cards. Visitors must return their University photo ID card or temporary ID card and Student Living Center keys upon check-out.
Students and their parents are encouraged to read this handbook before arriving on campus. Summer Student Assistants (SSAs) will review this material with students during Student Living Center orientation.