Eastman Experience: Summer Jazz Studies
A two-week program
Eastman Experience: Summer Jazz Studies
June 26-July 8, 2022
Jeff Campbell, director
“Well done everyone!!! We are very impressed with what you were able to coordinate, facilitate, and deliver in the most trying of circumstances. Our son had a marvelous time and learned a great deal!” -2020 participant’s parent
This rigorous two-week program provides an intensive, performance-based experience for highly motivated students currently in grades 9–12 and is ideally suited for those considering jazz studies at the collegiate level. Students work directly with the renowned Eastman School of Music jazz faculty in a program designed to enhance improvisational and ensemble skills. We are pleased to announce that the 2022 program will held be in person.
- Instrumental Master Classes
- Jazz Theory/Improvisation/Composition
- Guest Artist Lectures and Master Classes
- Jazz Forum
- Large Ensembles
See schedule below!
Application Fee and Deadlines:
- Application fee waived for current ECMS students
- $50 nonrefundable if application is completed by March 15
- $100 nonrefundable if application is completed after March 15, up until April 30.
- Final application deadline:
April 30. extended deadline May 27! Incomplete applications and those submitted after April 30May 27 will not be reviewed.
- Upon acceptance, students will be invoiced for a nonrefundable $300 deposit to secure their place. This is due by May 15.
- Tuition due in full by May 15. May 30 for extended deadline participants.
- Cancellations less than two weeks prior to the beginning of the program will not receive a refund except for a documented emergency.
$1094 Room & Board*
*please note that we are still monitoring the situation regarding on-campus housing and hope to have definite news soon
Partial merit and need-based scholarships available (see application)
10% tuition discount for ECMS students enrolled both semesters, 25% discount for children of qualifying University of Rochester employees. Partial scholarships may be requested on the application form. Employee discount must be applied for through employee’s HRMS page.
To be completed on the online application
- Video links, no more than 10 minutes total
- All submissions should be complete songs, and there should be at least three contrasting pieces, i.e. bebop tune, standard, ballad
- Each piece should consist of the melody and up to three choruses of improvised solo (or when possible)
- Either backing tracks or live accompaniment are acceptable
- Bass and Drums: Accompanying skills: walking bass, comping, etc.
- Drums: pieces should show variations in skills, such as medium tempo swing with trading fours; ballad with brushes; up-tempo swing; Latin; with at least one example of soloing. Please note that there is now a waiting list for drummers for 2022.
- Each year Jazz Studies includes international students. International students need to be completely conversant in English to take full advantage of the program.
- International students in the program can get information on travel documentation and insurance HERE.
- Applications and audition recordings will be reviewed shortly after their receipt, and most students will know their status within several weeks. Current ECMS students may apply without submitting a recording but do need to have their ECMS teacher send a recommendation.
Check in (residents only): Sunday, June 26 between 12:00p.m.-4:00p.m.
Orientation: Sunday, June 26 at 6 p.m. EST
Last Day: Friday July 8 (check out by noon, depart after afternoon concert)
Please note that we do not offer shuttle services between the airport and campus, but we recommend hiring an Uber/Lyft or taxi. Many offer Eastman discounts, and the campus is about a 15 minute drive from the airport. Students can ask to be dropped off at the Student Living Center, 100 Gibbs St, Rochester, NY 14605. It is optional for parents to accompany and attend orientation, though we hope they can make it for the performances at the end of the program.
Daily Schedule: HERE
Latest update: 5/18/22
This is the general schedule for the duration of the program. Please note that students will choose their music theory class.
HERE to apply now*
*2022 deadline has passed and no further applications will be reviewed.
All Summer@ Eastman participants must be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (2nd dose of Pfizer, Moderna or 1st dose of J&J/Janssen vaccines). As of April 6, 2022, booster shots are no longer required. Students must submit a scanned copy of their COVID-19 vaccine card which includes the following information: name, date of birth, vaccine manufacturer, lot number, and date each dose was given. We do plan to allow for limited medical exemptions; anyone interested in this option should contact firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions.
Over the summer, the University moved to a new system in which three COVID-19 tiers—low, medium, and high—both determine and communicate the face mask requirements on University campuses.
Students, faculty, staff, visitors—anyone who plans to be inside a University building or facility—can check the status and know whether face masks are required indoors (high), strongly encouraged (medium), or optional (low). The system directly correlates with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s COVID 19 Community Levels for Monroe County and provides a consistent framework upon which to base University masking guidance.
The current University COVID-19 tier can be found on the face mask guidelines page on the COVID-19 Resource Center.
COVID-19 safety policies and protocols are subject to change; we will update this page as new information is received.
Please be sure to add the following e-mail addresses to your address book so they are not filtered out as spam and so you don’t miss any important communications: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org .
Visit Summer@Eastman’s blog for some great articles on the Eastman Experience, interviews with faculty, helpful tips, and much more!