Eastman Experience: Summer Jazz Studies
A two-week online program
Eastman Experience: Summer Jazz Studies
June 27-July 9, 2021 (two-week online program)
Jeff Campbell, director
“Well done everyone!!! We are very impressed with what you were able to coordinate, facilitate, and deliver in the most trying of circumstances. Our son had a marvelous time and learned a great deal!” -2020 participant’s parent
Faculty: Charles Pillow, saxophone; Clay Jenkins, trumpet; Mark Kellogg, trombone; Bob Sneider, guitar; Dariusz Terefenko, piano; Jeff Campbell, bass; Rich Thompson, drums; Dave Rivello, theory & composition
This rigorous two-week program provides an intensive, performance-based experience for highly motivated students currently in grades 9–12 and is ideally suited for those considering jazz studies at the collegiate level. Students work directly with the renowned Eastman School of Music jazz faculty in a program designed to enhance improvisational and ensemble skills. In reaction to the COVID -19 restrictions, in the Summer 2020 we transitioned our program to online instruction and successfully accommodated all components to the remote mode of learning. We will continue this program online in Summer 2021.
- Instrumental Master Classes
- NEW! Private lessons with faculty
- Jazz Theory/Improvisation/Composition
- NEW! Cyber Guest Artist Lectures and Master Classes
- Jazz Forum
- Cyber Combos
- Pop-Up Classes (TBD)
See schedule below!
Application Fee and Deadlines:
- Application fee waived for current ECMS students.
- $50 nonrefundable if application is completed by February 15.
- $100 nonrefundable if application is completed after February 15, up until April 30.
- Incomplete applications and those submitted after April 15 will not be reviewed.
- Upon acceptance, students will be invoiced for a nonrefundable $300 deposit to secure their place. This is due by May 15.
- Tuition due in full by May 15.
- Cancellations less than two weeks prior to program orientation will not receive a refund except for a documented emergency.
Note: Certain instruments have limited enrollment, so check the website for updates on openings
$990 Tuition (2020 price. 2021 TBD)
Partial merit and need-based scholarships available (see application)
10% tuition discount for ECMS students enrolled both semesters, 25% discount for children of qualifying University of Rochester employees. Partial scholarships may be requested on the application form. Employee discount must be applied for through employee’s HRMS page.
To be completed on the online application
- Video links, no more than 10 minutes total
- Three contrasting pieces, i.e. bebop tune, standard, ballad
- Recorded examples to include improvised solos when possible
- Accompanying skills: walking bass, comping, etc.
- Drums: four recorded examples, including medium tempo swing with trading fours; ballad with brushes; up-tempo swing; Latin
- Participants should have regular access to a good laptop or desktop (either Mac or PC) with working speakers, a camera, a microphone, and a steady internet connection.
- Each year Jazz Studies includes international students. International students need to be completely conversant in English to take full advantage of the program. Please note that all classes are conducted in Eastern Daylight Time and all classes and workshops are syncronous.
- Applications and audition recordings will be reviewed shortly after their receipt, and most students will know their status within several weeks. Please allow extra time during the Covid19 Pandemic for processing. Current ECMS students may apply without submitting a recording but do need to have their ECMS teacher send a recommendation.
Orientation: Sunday, June 27 at 6 p.m. EST
Last Day: Friday July 9
Daily Schedule: HERE!
This is the general schedule for the duration of the program. Please note that students will choose their music theory class and may have some elective options as well. Students also schedule their own lesson times with their teachers.
Click HERE to apply now
Please be sure to add the following e-mail addresses to your address book so they are not filtered out as spam and so you don’t miss any important communications: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com .
Read our blog: Summer@Eastman 2020: Summer Jazz Reflections