Summer Jazz Studies — a two-week program
Summer Jazz Studies
July 1-13, 2018 (two-week program)
Jeff Campbell, director
Deadline for application extended! See below for details.
Faculty: Doug Stone, saxophone; Bill Tiberio, saxophone; Clay Jenkins, trumpet; Mike Kaupa, trumpet; Mark Kellogg, trombone; Bob Sneider, guitar; Dariusz Terefenko, piano; Paul Hofmann, piano; Jeff Campbell, bass; Rich Thompson, drums; Dave Rivello, composition
This rigorous two-week program provides an intensive, performance-based experience for highly motivated students currently in grades 9–12 and is ideally suited for those considering jazz studies at the collegiate level. Students work directly with the renowned Eastman School of Music jazz faculty in a program designed to enhance improvisational and ensemble skills.
- Instrumental Master Classes
- Jazz Performance Workshops
- Jazz Theory
- Large Jazz Ensembles including: Big Bands, Saxology, Guitar Ensemble
- Jazz Forum
- Jazz Composition
- Evening Jam Sessions
Note that during the first week there will be an off-campus trip. Details TBA.
Final large and small ensemble performances are held in Eastman’s acoustically magnificent halls. Performances will be recorded, and each student will have access to the recordings online.
Arrive (dorm): Sunday, July 1, 1–4 p.m.
Orientation: Sunday, July 1 at 7 p.m. in ESM Room 120
Depart (dorm): Friday evening, July 13
Small Ensembles: Thursday, July 12 at 3 p.m. in Kilbourn Hall
Large Ensembles: Friday, July 13 at 3 p.m. in Kilbourn Hall
Application Fee and Deadlines:
- Fee waived for current ECMS students
- $50 nonrefundable if application is completed by March 1
- $100 nonrefundable if application is completed after March 1, up until April 30
- Incomplete applications and those submitted after April 30 will not be reviewed
- Upon acceptance, students will be invoiced for a nonrefundable $100 deposit to secure their place
- Tuition and housing payment (if applicable) due by May 15
Note: Certain instruments have limited enrollment, so check the website for updates on openings
UPDATE: We are at capacity now for drumset, piano, saxophone and guitar and are not accepting any more applications for those instruments. We are still interested in bass, trombone, and trumpet. If you play one of these instruments and are interested in applying, please create an account, contact Shaya Greathouse at firstname.lastname@example.org, and she will open an application for you.
$1350 Tuition only
$1027 Housing and meals only
$2377 Total tuition, housing & meals
10% tuition discount for ECMS students enrolled both semesters, 25% discount for children of qualifying University of Rochester employees. Partial scholarships may be requested on the application form. Employee discount must be applied for through employee’s HRMS page.
To be completed on the online application
- Video links, no more than 10 minutes total
- Three contrasting pieces, i.e. bebop tune, standard, ballad
- Recorded examples to include improvised solos when possible
- Accompanying skills: walking bass, comping, etc.
- Drums: four recorded examples, including medium tempo swing with trading fours; ballad with brushes; up-tempo swing; Latin
Click HERE to apply
PLEASE see above note in red about instruments that are at capacity BEFORE applying.
Click HERE for forms for accepted students
(For the password, contact the Summer Coordinator at: email@example.com. Please note if you were notified of your acceptance, you also received these forms by e-mail from the Summer Coordinator.)