Eastman Experience: Summer Jazz Studies — a two-week program
Eastman Experience: Summer Jazz Studies
June 30-July 12, 2019 (two-week program)
Jeff Campbell, director
“Met a lot of excellent players that I know I will be around the rest of my life, and great education from fantastic faculty.” -2018 participant
Faculty: Bill Tiberio, saxophone; Charles Pillow, saxophone; Colin Gordon, saxophone; Conrad Ziarniak, saxophone; Clay Jenkins, trumpet; Mike Kaupa, trumpet; Charlie Carr, trumpet; Mark Kellogg, trombone; Bob Sneider, guitar; Dariusz Terefenko, piano; Jeff Campbell, bass; Rich Thompson, drums; Dave Rivello, composition
This rigorous two-week program provides an intensive, performance-based experience for highly motivated students currently in grades 9–12 and is ideally suited for those considering jazz studies at the collegiate level. Students work directly with the renowned Eastman School of Music jazz faculty in a program designed to enhance improvisational and ensemble skills.
- Instrumental Master Classes
- Jazz Performance Workshops
- Jazz Theory
- Large Jazz Ensembles including: Big Bands, Saxology, Guitar Ensemble
- Jazz Forum
- Jazz Composition
- Evening Jam Sessions
Here is the basic schedule for 2019 so far:
Jazz Studies Schedule 2019
Please note that this schedule is the basic schedule for all and does not reflect individual differences. Small and large ensembles will be assigned, and classes will be self-assigned.
Final large and small ensemble performances are held in Eastman’s acoustically magnificent halls. Performances will be recorded and livestreamed, and each student will have access to the recordings online.
Application Fee and Deadlines:
- Application fee waived for current ECMS students
- $50 nonrefundable if application is completed by February 15
- $100 nonrefundable if application is completed after February 15, up until April 15
- Incomplete applications and those submitted after April 15 will not be reviewed
- Upon acceptance, students will be invoiced for a nonrefundable $100 deposit to secure their place
- Tuition and housing payment (if applicable) due by May 15
- Cancellations less than two weeks prior to arrival will not receive a refund except for a documented emergency
Note: Certain instruments have limited enrollment, so check the website for updates on openings
$1360 Tuition only CRN: 18349
$1063 Housing and meals only CRN: 18355
$2423 Total tuition, housing & meals
10% tuition discount for ECMS students enrolled both semesters, 25% discount for children of qualifying University of Rochester employees. Partial scholarships may be requested on the application form. Employee discount must be applied for through employee’s HRMS page.
To be completed on the online application
- Video links, no more than 10 minutes total
- Three contrasting pieces, i.e. bebop tune, standard, ballad
- Recorded examples to include improvised solos when possible
- Accompanying skills: walking bass, comping, etc.
- Drums: four recorded examples, including medium tempo swing with trading fours; ballad with brushes; up-tempo swing; Latin
Arrive: Sunday, June 30, 12-5 p.m. for residents of the Student Living Center and 7 p.m. for commuters
Orientation: Sunday, June 30 at 7 p.m. in ESM Room 120
Depart: Friday evening, July 12 (after concert)
All concerts are livestreamed, video recorded, and audio recorded.
Video and audio files will be available for download several weeks after the end of the program.
Small Ensembles: Thursday, July 11 at 3 p.m. in Kilbourn Hall
Large Ensembles: Friday, July 12 at 3 p.m. in Kilbourn Hall
Click HERE to apply
Please be sure to add the following e-mail addresses to your address book so they are not filtered out as spam and so you don’t miss any important communications: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org .
Read our blog: Students Love the Challenge: Serious Jams at Eastman Summer Jazz Studies