Eastman Experience: Summer Jazz Studies
A two-week program
Eastman Experience: Summer Jazz Studies
June 26-July 8, 2022
Jeff Campbell, director
“Well done everyone!!! We are very impressed with what you were able to coordinate, facilitate, and deliver in the most trying of circumstances. Our son had a marvelous time and learned a great deal!” -2020 participant’s parent
Faculty: Charles Pillow, saxophone; Clay Jenkins, trumpet; Mark Kellogg, trombone; Bob Sneider, guitar; Dariusz Terefenko, piano; Jeff Campbell, bass; Rich Thompson, drums; Dave Rivello, theory & composition
This rigorous two-week program provides an intensive, performance-based experience for highly motivated students currently in grades 9–12 and is ideally suited for those considering jazz studies at the collegiate level. Students work directly with the renowned Eastman School of Music jazz faculty in a program designed to enhance improvisational and ensemble skills. We are pleased to announce that the 2022 program will held be in person.
- Instrumental Master Classes
- Jazz Theory/Improvisation/Composition
- Guest Artist Lectures and Master Classes
- Jazz Forum
- Large Ensembles
See schedule below!
Application Fee and Deadlines:
- Application fee waived for current ECMS students
- $50 nonrefundable if application is completed by March 15
- $100 nonrefundable if application is completed after March 15, up until April 30.
- Incomplete applications and those submitted after April 30 will not be reviewed.
- Upon acceptance, students will be invoiced for a nonrefundable $300 deposit to secure their place. This is due by May 15.
- Tuition due in full by May 15.
- Cancellations less than two weeks prior to the beginning of the program will not receive a refund except for a documented emergency.
$1094 Room & Board*
*please note that we are still monitoring the situation regarding on-campus housing and hope to have definite news soon
Partial merit and need-based scholarships available (see application)
10% tuition discount for ECMS students enrolled both semesters, 25% discount for children of qualifying University of Rochester employees. Partial scholarships may be requested on the application form. Employee discount must be applied for through employee’s HRMS page.
To be completed on the online application
- Video links, no more than 10 minutes total
- Three contrasting pieces, i.e. bebop tune, standard, ballad
- Recorded examples to include improvised solos when possible
- Accompanying skills: walking bass, comping, etc.
- Drums: four recorded examples, including medium tempo swing with trading fours; ballad with brushes; up-tempo swing; Latin
- Each year Jazz Studies includes international students. International students need to be completely conversant in English to take full advantage of the program.
- Applications and audition recordings will be reviewed shortly after their receipt, and most students will know their status within several weeks. Current ECMS students may apply without submitting a recording but do need to have their ECMS teacher send a recommendation.
Check in (residents only): Sunday, June 26 between 12:00p.m.-4:00p.m.
Orientation: Sunday, June 26 at 6 p.m. EST
Last Day: Friday July 8 (check out by noon)
Daily Schedule: coming soon
For an idea of what our previous in-person schedules were like, here’s what we did in 2019.
This is the general schedule for the duration of the program. Please note that students will choose their music theory class and may have some elective options as well.
Click HERE to apply now
All Summer@ Eastman participants must be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. Students must be at least two weeks past the second dose of a two-dose vaccine (Pfizer, Moderna) or two weeks past the first dose of a single-dose vaccine (J&J/Janssen). Students must submit a scanned copy of their COVID-19 vaccine card which includes the following information: name, date of birth, vaccine manufacturer, lot number, and date each dose was given. While it’s not a current University requirement for enrolled students to receive the booster shot, it is anticipated that by summer it will become a mandate. We do plan to allow for limited medical exemptions; anyone interested in this option should contact firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions.
Please be sure to add the following e-mail addresses to your address book so they are not filtered out as spam and so you don’t miss any important communications: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org .
Visit Summer@Eastman’s blog for some great articles on the Eastman Experience, interviews with faculty, helpful tips, and much more!